Friday, 27 July 2012

Richard's Island to Bad River

We stayed another day at the Richard's Island anchorage and it was a busy place. In addition to the usual boat traffic, the same seaplane landed and took off right beside us enough times we got kinda blasé about it. But it started out exciting, so there are pictures. The little lodge in the background is a step up from most of the local cottages, but there's plenty of posh real estate.

July 24: We headed out about 0815, but it was well after nine by the time we cleared the rocks of Point au Baril Channel. It was a beat into messy waves, but with a bonus wind shift at about 1400 that let us tack through about 40 degrees so we were at anchor in Bad River well before dinner time. These rocky entries and exits are a little nerve wracking, but the sights once you get in make it worth it!

There is rock all around us, with some Group of Seven trees and a family of vultures soaring on the thermals from the sun soaked rocks. We are sharing the anchorage with 4 other boats, 3 of them sail and there's almost a quarter moon showing as the sun sets amidst high, wispy, fair weather clouds.

Tonight is our sixth night at anchor since leaving Tobermory, so we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sustenance. Tonight was Fusili Alfredo with Crab. Obviously we need to rush to Killarney for supplies. And for connectivity, as there's only a hint of a signal down here amidst the rocks. And to meet up with June and Richard if we are going to see them before they head south.

July 25: Supplies will have to wait! Spent a gorgeous morning doing nothing much at anchor, then took the dinghy up the Devils Door Rapids. With low water it's just a fast moving bit of water between the rocks. Once up I switched to oars. Last time I was here I hit a rock and broke the shear pin less than 50 metres further up. This is part of the lower reaches of the French River, a fissured coastline almost like a delta of granite, with water and marshy clay caught in the cracks. Much of the marsh is now high and dry, and marsh plants are moving out onto the exposed surfaces. Except for the granite. There's about three feet along the granite waterlines that's missing the long term growth of lichen.

The anchorage is filling up today, with another half dozen power boats in by lunch time, probably to shelter from the southerlies that could make it to 20 this afternoon. Speaking of lunch time...

After lunch the weather "dis-improved" to persistent rain and occasional strong winds. It's the first day so far to get me thinking that one of those full cockpit enclosures might be nice, as we sit below eating our dinner (tomato and wild rice casserole with corned beef and cheese). The wind has gotten lighter and moved around to the north east, which should be good for tomorrow.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment